Blacktip Island’s top divemasters will converge on Sandy Bottoms’ Beach Resort this weekend for the Assmonkey Ale Divemaster Decathalon. The winner will go on to compete in the Caribbean Regional in July.
“We’ve been training like scalded rats,” Eagle Ray Divers divemaster Gage Hoase said. “Marina, there, can swap over six fill-whips in five seconds flat.”
“The dark horses are the DMs from Blacktip Haven,” divemaster Marina DeLow said. “They’re cagey, they’re wiry and, with the resort sequestered in the interior as it is, we’ve no idea what sort of training regimen they’re using or what times they’re recording.”
As per the International Divemaster Decathlon rules, half the events will be conducted on a rocking dive boat moored offshore and half on the resort’s pier.
On-boat events include:
- switching three Zeagle BCDs with 20 pounds of integrated weights from one cylinder to another,
- running a slalom course through a rack of peed-in wetsuits while carrying four dive bags,
- fishing a hat from the water with a boat hook,
- unclogging the boat’s marine toilet (simulated feces provided by the Peter Paul candy company), and
- dodging a variety of weight belts and weight pouches thrown at their bare feet.
Dockside events include:
- filling one round of scuba cylinders and switching the fill whips to fresh tanks,
- pounding 10 backed-out dock nails back into place using a scuba cylinder,
- bandaging three toes with duct tape, and
- answering a stupid question from a randomly-chosen dive guest.
“Last year Finn Kiick clinched the win on, ‘What does coconut rum taste like?’” Sandy Bottoms’ divemaster Joey Pompano said. “Without batting an eye, Finn said, ‘Chicken.’”
In place of the final floor exercises, each contestant will have 60 seconds to look as cool as possible. Degree of difficulty will be factored in as judges deem fit.
All competitors will be required to consume one 12-ounce beer between each event.
“Competition’s getting tougher, and younger, every year,” Eagle Ray Divers’ Hoase said. “The top scores from 10 years ago wouldn’t even qualify today. And this is just the sub-regional.”
All contestants will receive Assmonkey Ale t-shirts. Runners-up will receive a case of Assmonkey and discount coupons for back surgery and liver transplants.